Darley Dale Station
The Gothic architecture of Darley Dale Station contrasted with the other stations on the line. Originally named Darley, the Dale was added to give the station more appeal to potential visitors!
The first station was on the other side of the road but was soon replaced, and found use as the Station Master’s house. Darley Dale was Peak Rail’s first station and housed most of the facilities while Rowsley South was still being developed. The “up” platform buildings, formerly waiting rooms, have been restored and augmented by a new toilet block, built with materials recovered from the second Rowsley station when it was demolished.
The “down” building still requires restoration and has for many years occupied the time of the Derwent & Wye Valley Railway Trust. The trust has undertaken a lot of work at Darley in trying to recreate an LMS scene which would have been familiar to passengers in the 1930’s/40’s. Today, Darley Dale provides a passing loop for trains running on the heritage line.
To find out more about the DWVRT's project for the down building click here.
A signal box recovered from Bamford was originally installed here by Peak Rail but it has now been relocated to the Rowsley South site.
Darley used to have a number of sidings in the South Yard and a cattle dock. The sidings also housed a camping coach for a number of years – adjacent to the busy mainline.